BURP Kayak Expedition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hardcore!!...

2 posters

Go down

Hardcore!!... Empty Hardcore!!...

Post  Niamh Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 am

....http://www.stevefisher.com/#/en/the-impossible/asia/myanmar/the-impossible-river/

Mayyybe not the impossible river.. but a lot more possible rivers in Burma. Wanting to get in contact with ultimate descents first to see what else Burma(Myanmar) has to offer.

In general I think there is a lot of room for exploration in Burma but I don't know how easy its going to be logistically. Flights are at a quick glance looking at more like £900. I spoke to a friend who said the best way to do is go to Bangkok for about£400-£500 and then get a plane to Yangon which should cost £50-£100. Don't know how easy this will be with boats, can look into it more if needed.

The fco says there are no restrictions in Burma but great care should be taken near the Cambodia,Laos,Thailand. No four borders trip then! Trip reports before have required permission to visit different areas but these were a fair time ago and don't think the situations like that now. Though would definitely need to check. Another possible restriction is that british or international driving license are not recognised in Burma, although this is not necessarily an issue if we had guides.

The country looks incredible, very beautiful and fairly untouched. It contains part of the eastern Himalayas and the edge of the mountain plateau of Yunnan in southern China with fairly high rainfall. The rivers look good with lots to explore but does look fairly awkward logistics-wise. The monsoon is may to September-October which could be the biggest problem. Hoping to hear from David Allardice soon who runs trips out there to get his opinion. The website is ultimate descents if you're interested. Hope thats ok for now.

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Hardcore!!... Empty Re: Hardcore!!...

Post  DaveB Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:05 am

Wow! Yeah - probably avoid the 'impossible river'.
Thats cool.
The Taiwan lot managed to talk themselves out of trouble when they used their (none recognised) UK drivers liscence. But by the sounds of things it may be better if we had a proper guide.
Do you know what time of year they went to Burma?
Think you're right about the logistics - travel in mosoon season is not easy.
I also think there'll be similar problems encountered as Taiwan in terms of committing runs and jungle. I think thats something we'd best avoid.
Rivers seem to fluctuate a larg amount by Dave Allardyces article.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum