BURP Kayak Expedition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccinations and anti malarials

4 posters

Go down

Vaccinations and anti malarials Empty Vaccinations and anti malarials

Post  Will Eldred Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 am

Had an appointment with the travel clinic the other day and realised i am going to have to spend a horrendous amount.
They seemed to think that for Sri lanka the malaria is resistant to most of the drugs but not Malarone = £3.50 a pop

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Vaccinations and anti malarials Empty Re: Vaccinations and anti malarials

Post  sean Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:00 am

Check on travelpharm.com for Malarone...I'm sure its cheaper than that on there!

sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Eldred Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:47 am

sweet, thats a fair bit cheaper.. £2.25

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 pm

All vaccined up as of yesterday. Japanese enphildcicahhid is apparently in Sri Lanka but not in August so thats lucky as that ones really expensive and the others are freee. Don't know what your doctors said Will but mine said I didn't need to take malaria tablets. His little booklet said you would only need them if you were above a certain town in the North but it looks pretty far North and I think we should be ok. I checked and double checked but he says no we should be fine. He said we could take a course of malarone to treat it if we got it and couldn't get to a hospital. 4 tablets daily for 3 days. Could get one between the group for just in case but otherwise don't think I'm going to bother as reckon we probably wouldnt want to take them if not diagnosed and should be able to get to a hospital in not too long.

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Eldred Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:23 am

Free?!?!? bloody clinic in london is going to charge me £400 odd quid for the lot

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 am

Just had mine too.
Again, Free as a naturist.
Malaria is a problem north of a town beginning with 'V' Which is above the big town of Anakopura (sp??).
We probably won't be going north of Anakopura so will be ok.
Malerone is the expensive one too, get in touch and cancel!
Jap TickBourne Encephelitis wasn't suggested for me either - they didn't give a reason.
Are you getting a Rabies injection (to bring it up to that price)? I'm not bothering because when we are far away from hospitals / medical centres we'll probably be fairly far away from civilisation. Just make sure you avoid dogs...
£400 is steep!

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 am

Travellers Diarrhoea: there is a prophylactic for this which comes in the form of a sachet of powder you have to take before heading out. Its called Dukoral, and lasts 2 years. It used to be used for the prevention of Cholera in the UK, but now is marketed at people going abroad. It costs about £25 and you can get it through your local GP.
Would be well worth it because at some point one of us is going to be out of action due to this. For £25 it could mean you get alot more days on the water...

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Eldred Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:10 am

Vaccinations and anti malarials Search%3Fq%3Dsri%2Blanka%2Bmalaria%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D655%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=469&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=90&ty=63
don't know if that ^ is going to work but it is the diagram i was shown and not too sure how far north east we are planing on going as there is a pocket of malaria there. It's pretty unlikely we would get malaria by going near it but....sods law

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Eldred Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 am

hmm picture didn't work, right click and open it in a new tab

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: