BURP Kayak Expedition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka Flights

+2
NickR
DaveB
6 posters

Go down

Sri Lanka Flights Empty Sri Lanka Flights

Post  DaveB Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Anyone found any cheap ones?
What companies go there.
Any ideas if theyr'e kayak friendly?

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka Flights Empty Re: Sri Lanka Flights

Post  NickR Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Brief look found £565 return to be a real bookable price at the moment with Oman Air
better might be available, certainly better prices are advertised but they disappear when you click the links

NickR
Admin

https://burpkayak.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 am

Cool Cool.
One of the most important things with booking flights is knowing if they take kayaks.
When you look for a flight and get a price, can you have a nosey at the baggage policy and excess baggage costs of the airline too?
If they don't say anything immediately about sports luggage, send them an email.
Airlines which fly to Sri Lanka (some of them)
Soudi Arabian Airlines
Oman Air
Jet Airways
(seemingly more expensive - though that may just be the one search:)
Aeroflot
FinnairChina Eastern
Gulf Air

Sri Lanka Flights Sri%20Lanka%20FlightsFrom here http://www.cheapticket.co.uk/SearchResult.aspx

So if you fancy dong a bit of flight research, can you look at the Sports Luggage allowence for these companies.
Ta

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 am

We need to keep an eye on the Visa situation - at the moment they are free, but we may soon need to buy them in advance:
Entry Requirements - Visas
Visas are required for trips to Sri Lanka. Currently British nationals receive a 30-day visit visa, free of charge, on arrival. All other visas, including for those undertaking voluntary activity and paid or unpaid work, should be obtained at a Sri Lankan High Commission or Embassy before you travel. In August 2010 the Government of Sri Lanka has announced its intention to suspend visas on arrival. We are awaiting confirmation of the date of that this will come into force.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:47 am

It is probably worth looking into flights to Chennai, or even places further afield in India as well. There will be more flights and more people going there so should be easier to find a deal. You can get a ferry from Chennai for a handful of dollars.

At a glance I have been able to find return flights for £516 to Chennai. Multiple entry visas for India are £30, transit visas are a little cheaper, so not a massive saving but something worth looking into. I have flown return flights to Delhi in August for under £300 before. Just takes a bit of leg work, I will get on it on friday when our internet is reconnected (woop).

The deal with these cheap flights though is that if you find a bargain you normally need to book quite quick - are people ready to take the plunge and part with cash?

Seth

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

I have got info on or emailed all the companies Dave suggested and will update you as soon as I hear back. I do agree we need to get on flights pretty sharpish. I'll let you know asap about baggage allowance and we can get on finding the cheapest route. I think if we were able to have a meet up then deciding on dates and definite flights would be a lot easier. I'll get a new doodle sorted in the next few days. Can we all get on it asap so we can find a good time to rendez vous.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 am

From Surfing Contact Olli Eddiford
I flew with etihad airlines. I paid under 500 and that was with a surfboard. Weight had to be under 23kg i think. Some of the guys were over by 7-9 kg and they were cool with it. Really nice airline with good food also.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:16 am

There may be issues with flying to India, but if Sri Lnka really is too expensive, Madura (India) isn't too far away.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Mon May 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Having a quick look at flights as clearly Seth won't be on this now. The cheapest I'm finding at the mo is BMI. So I've looked at their baggage info so will have to take a £30/£60 charge into consideration. Paddles as well. At the moment the best price I've found is £64 a4, if anyone can find any cheaper get it up here. That was going on the Mon1st, coming back Fri26th

An update on the airlines if people are having a look at flights are:

Sri Lankan Airways take objects under 8ft and 30kg. Any over is £35per kilo

BMI - Canoes allowed A flat rate of £30 per item, per sector will be applied. If the item is over 20kg but under 32kg then an additional £30 per item, per direction will apply.

Etihad - Don't take kayaks on board. Would need to be in Cargo. Quote - £166 for 2boats

Gulf - Allow kayaks though under 190cm and under 32kg

Jet - Under 156 cm and 23kg

Oman Air - I couldn't get through to.

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue May 10, 2011 3:39 am

BMI Hold Luggage: Unlimited pieces, max total weight 20kg
Canoes allowed A flat rate of £30 per item, per sector will be applied. If the item is over 20kg but under 32kg then an additional £30 per item, per direction will apply
So if we were to take our kayaks (which weighed over 20kg) there and back, it would cost an extra £120.
When it says 'Canoes Allowed', was this meaning we could take out 40kgs (20kg in hold, 20kg sports allowance)? That would only be an extra £60 each. If so, thats doable. And if needs be (unlikely) we could chip in for one person pay the extra £30 for the kayak being between 20kg - 30kg. ie, one person (subsidised by the rest of us) would pay £120 there and back ontop of the price of a ticket.
Not sooo bad.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Just remembered we flew with BMI to Georgia and we had to pay £30 for each boat and paddle set of which we have two but if we are flying with just me, Dave and Nick now? Is that right? Which in that case will be split between three, so an extra £80 on top of flight costs for there and back charges. Just saw some suspect low prices on Flightsgroup.com though they don't have much details and you need to call. I'll get on that tomorrow and see if they're as cheap as they look. Typo from before obviously - I found 644 for 1-26 and 614 for I think 1-24. Tom and Will can you confirm when you can if you'll be getting your own flights. Ta.

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 am

I am flying out with you guys. Its just will who is going separately.

Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Eldred Wed May 11, 2011 11:27 am

I can find anything cheaper than 644. Any luck from the suspect cheap ones?
I m staying out and going to india to visit family but i will hopefully get the same flight to sri lanka with you guys.

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 am

Following from my email, could everyone please give me their passport details. Thanks.

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Booked!!! Sri Lanka here we come! These are the dates we have confirmed. We now have paid the £1000 deposit. He is however attempting to get us on the fligth on the 2nd if possible instead so we can have an extra day. Think this is unlikely but dont book that date up just yet. The rest of the details are here: Please can everyone send me their passport expiry dates and let me know if it is british or not. Ta. Cool!

Itinerary 1st :-
Passenger/s
1.Ms.Niamh Charlotte Stack
2.Mr.David Matthew Burne

Wednesday, August 03, 2011
London Heath row-Colombo
18:15-09:30[Next Day]

Monday, August 29, 2011
Colombo-London Heath row
11:20-20:15

***Operated By Sri Lankan Airline***
Fare : - 632.85 Sterling Pounds per adult.

Itinerary 2nd :-
Passengers/s
1.Mr.Nicholas James Roberts
2.Mr.Thomas Haywood

London Heath row-Colombo

Monday, August 29, 2011
Colombo-London Heath row
11:20-20:15

Fare : - 738.92 Sterling Pounds per adult.

Itinerary 3rd :-
Passengers/s
1.Mr.William Eldred
Flights :-
London Heath row-Colombo

Thursday, September 08, 2011
Colombo-London Heath row05:00-12:00
Fare : - 738.92 Sterling Pounds per adult.

Added with a fiver booking fee thats £701.49 each. So we were thinking if everyone could put an extra 100 squid in the account then that will cover the extra bit, Tom can buy the maps and we'll have an extra bit in the kitty for anythingelse we may need to buy or pay for out there.

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Hey hey ok so nowwww we've booked flights woop woop. Received the etickets and everything. Really sorry about the price. There was a cafuffle with kayaks, a load of bullshit and a travel agentman out there somewhere who hates me. So now we have flights from the 2nd to the 29th for £769.49. I have been promised we will not pay for boats at the airport so although its shit for us as we thought it was going to be cheaper, i dont actually think its changed much from when I was sorting it then, that initial deal was just really good. Im a waffler so im going to stop. Will is coming bk on the 8th and Sean unfortunately couldnt get on the 29th flight so is coming back on the 30th. Here are the flight details:

1.Mr.Sean Ziehm.Stephen
Tuesday, August 02, 2011
London Heath row-Colombo
21:45-13:00[Next Day]

Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Colombo-London Heath row
06:05-13:05

1.Ms.Niamh Charlotte Stack
2.Mr.David Matthew Burne
3.Mr.Nicholas James Roberts
4.Mr.Thomas Haywood

Tuesday, August 02, 2011