BURP Kayak Expedition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3rd Dimension

4 posters

Go down

The 3rd Dimension Empty The 3rd Dimension

Post  DaveB Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 pm

What do people think about trying to get something a little different for the expedition, a '3rd dimension'. We had a brief talk about it when we met up.

I think if we were after sponsorship from Dagger we'd perhaps be after this '3rd dimension'. Pyranha, less so.
It may also be better for Grants etc.
'Giving something back' as opposed to just 'Can you pay for me to go kayaking'.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

The 3rd Dimension Empty Re: The 3rd Dimension

Post  Niamh Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Some ideas we discussed and would good to look into more. I'm happy to look into organising so if people have preferences/thoughts?

David Allardice (who I got in touch with about the potential in Bhutan) has previously got an invitation to explore new rivers from the Ministry of Tourism in Burma to try and increase rafting potential. Maybe we could do the same?

Also Sri Lankan kayaking clubs. Any one seen any? Safety principles teaching would be good.

Help develop a rafting company into kayaking?

Website with river guides. Maybe a first (?) for Sri Lanka

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm

My friend is working on a project to help promote Kayaking in the 3rd world and is currently in Sri Lanka setting up a teaching centre out there. He has got some money behind the scheme but now needs boats, paddles and decks to get going. I said I'd try to find him some. I need some decent kayaks a small fleet kayaks that have been used, look a bit tired but are basically sound. Does anybody know of any group or club who is selling an old fleet due to upgrading their own? By small I mean about 8 but a few more wouldn't hurt either. Due to the nature of this request there isn't a great amount of money available to buy the boats.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in Advance

Graham Stephenson

Potential?

Also these guys:
The 3rd Dimension P6300938

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  NickR Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 pm

I think to get any kind of grant we do need a third dimension.

Just a thought could be to follow up a study which has been done previously to moniter change, I don't really know how feasable this would be though: Water scarcity is a growing issue in the world and may be in Sri Lanka, but is

"Water scarcity variations within a country: a case study of Sri Lanka"
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=A2I3I6RizqwC&oi=fnd&pg=PR5&dq=sri+lanka+river&ots=J2D_Dwd4ee&sig=K22g5l25hkBf40BLxg4WI65Mg9g#v=onepage&q=sri%20lanka%20river&f=false

(This also contains a nice picture of drainage basins on page 5)

admittedly this is really about irrigation - so not really to do with the upper reaches that we would be interested in
there is possibility of, in a source to sea, taking samples of water and/or fish analysing how levels of pollutants change

are there any historical trips to Sri Lanka that could be recreated?

The heavy metal pollution of the Kelani river in Sri Lanka
Dissanayake, C B | Weerasooriya, S V R | Senaratne, A | Rupasinghe, M S
Aqua , no. 2, pp. 79-88. 1985
http://md1.csa.com/partners/viewrecord.php?requester=gs&collection=TRD&recid=20070650228524MT&q=sri+lanka+river+water+pollution&uid=790404990&setcookie=yes

This measured concentration of heavy metal & pollutants in river water
bu it would it really be useful to anyone to do that again without any expertise?

NickR
Admin

https://burpkayak.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 am

3rd Dimension:

I had a chat with Seth last week, and we came up with a bit of a 3rd dimension.
The civil war in Sri Lanka has only recently fnished.
As far as we know no other expeditions have been to Sri Lanka since its end.
We will spend a portion of our time being (possibly) some of the first peopole to explore the rivers in the north of the country.
(Having said this, the north is flatter than the south).
We should also try and get in touch (soon!) with the Tourist Office and try and cooperate with them on the matter.
Niamh has said this has worked for David Allerdyce who runs a rafting company in the Himalayes.
Volunteers for this??

Thats not to say we shouldn't rule out doing somethig of an environmental nature.
Nick has put down some interesting thoughts.
Seth has mentioned interviewing locals to see how the increased incidence of flooding is affecting them.

My only worry with going further into the 'science' realm is that time is ticking and we should concentrate on getting a proposal sorted soon.
A science based slant will require alot more research and time, and searching out funds and grants.

What do people think?

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 am

If we do go along the 'reporting flooding' lines, we would need to get in touch with these guys.
http://www.dmc.gov.lk/index_english.htm

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 am

There may be issues with the proposal of exploring 'The North':
Wikipedia:
Vavuniya used to be a front line town in the war between the LTTE and the Sri Lankan Army until the Army advanced northwards during the 2008 SLA Northern offensive. Clashes between different Tamil militant groups have resulted in instability in the city, and those from the south of Sri Lanka do not visit it often.
If you have a quick look at THIS map you will notice thats not even too far up north.
However we probably wont miss out on many of the steeper sections of river.

From the Foreign Commonwealth Office
You must have permission from the Sri Lankan Ministry of Defence before travelling to the northern districts of Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mannar, Mullaittivu and Vavuniya. You should not attempt to travel to these districts without first obtaining the required permission and exercise caution in line with Safety and Security

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:26 am

Website for Promotion of Tourism Bureau in Sri Lanka - http://www.srilankatourism.org/

email info@srilanka.travel

I was going to get in touch asking for help and advice on logistics, but wasnt sure if we were maybe approaching them as a potential sponsor? If so does whoever is dealing with all that stuff want to get onto them?

If not, let me know and I will crack on.

Seth

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 am

I was thinking more just get in touch with them, and see what happens.
Ie, say were looking to explore rivers in Sri Lanka in the hope that someof them could be used for rafting in the future. Civil war over, travel in the north etc etc.
I can't imagine them being a 'sponsor' per say, just worth getting in touch with because if we can have them on our side things will be made much easier.
Ideally, they will jump on our band wagon and provide transport and translators etc etc for us. Met us at the airport etc. Made us an 'official' part of a tourism boosting scheme.
Another bonus would be if they just gave us some reliable, cheap contacts.
At worst, they just wont reply.

Big us up and make us sound proffesional!

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 am

On it.

Seth

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Didn't know where to post these things but was wondering if Wade from Borderlands had got back to you Will? Only just seen this website http://www.discoverborderlands.com/Video.html and looks like it would be amazing if we could get through to him. There's a lot of third dimension stuff under videos and things that Wade seems to have started that we could potentially get involved with?

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:58 am

Didn't know where to post these things but was wondering if Wade from Borderlands had got back to you Will? Only just seen this website http://www.discoverborderlands.com/Video.html and looks like it would be amazing if we could get through to him. There's a lot of third dimension stuff under videos and things that Wade seems to have started that we could potentially get involved with?
Good find Niamh.
Will, have you got in touch with this guy before?
If we're going to do a 3rd dimension with the people of the Sri Lankan paddling world Wade seems to be the man in the know of what needs doing.
I guess this is a bit of a limiting factor in progression at the moment (in terms of sponsorship)
If we can get in touch with him, he may be able to help us out and put us in touch with SriLankan paddlers (& with logistics too?).
Once we have our 'aim', the website can go live and applications to grants and bursaries can be sent with more detail.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 am

Had a quick look at maps wityh Tom H this weekend.
He's just got one for the north of the country, but there looks to be lots to explore.
Difficult to know exactly how much potential they have without arriving and getting a feel for the climate, but it'll be worth an explore for sure!

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:05 am

Dave Will get in touch with these people:
Lanka Council on Waterfalls (LCWF) released Sri Lanka's first CD titled "Sri Lankan Waterfalls". This is the first ever CD in Sri Lanka which contains 383 waterfalls with photographs.

The launching ceremony held at National Library Auditorium, Colombo 07 Saturday 22 and Professor of Environment Science at University of Colombo, Sarath Kotagama. President of LCWF Chief Engineer of Welioya Irrigation Project, Anura Nelugolla and several other speakers delivered lectures at the launching ceremony, states a press release by LCWF. The event was initiated by Lanka Council on Waterfalls after research from January 2001 to December 2004. LCWF completed their first national study on Sri Lanka Waterfalls. At the end of this study 382 waterfalls in Sri Lanka were identified. Earlier only 99 waterfalls had been recorded. This program had the objective of developing a set of activities that would contribute towards the study of waterfalls by LCWF.

LCWF is a non-profit organisation which has worked nationally and internationally since its inception in 2000 to improve public awareness and understanding of water issues with a view to promote the conservation and wise use of nature and natural resources. LCWF designs and manages innovative high quality programs that build capacity in the field of environment education. LCWF's program and activities seek to create awareness and enable individuals and communities to make decisions that favour environmentally sustainable development.

The CD contains details of 383 waterfalls with photographs, lists of the highest waterfalls of the world, popular waterfalls, world waterfalls, websites, several other environmental important facts with environmental information centres, most influential green groups and individuals, Sri Lanka Green Award Winners, Sri Lanka's Environmental Issues and Problems, Web Directory of Sri Lankan Green NGOs and World Environment Day themes. The CD can be obtained by calling 011-281 78 03 or e-mailing lcwf@sri.lanka.net or it is available in LCWF, 7A, Albert Perera Mawatha, Nugegoda.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 am

http://tirtasetakayakcommunity.blogspot.com/
These guys are doing something along the lines of teaching locals safety and rescue techniques.
Though they have a projector and everything!

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 am

I take it noone has an objection to the below:
Maybe we can edit the website a bit and include this?
And can someone write a little blog post on it? Just to draw more attention to it.

From Wade
I have a bit of a mission which I hope you guys can help us with out here.
It is confirmed that the main river here is going to be damed and work starts within 6 months. Even more scary is the chinese are heading the project which means things will move fast. With this reality we wish to put a HELP US FIND A NEW RIVER SPIN on your trips out here. We will likely look at moving operations when the time comes but maybe you can help us find a new home to build another rafting camp.

kinldy chat with your team and tell me if that fits into your mission here.

OK that's is all for now.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum