BURP Kayak Expedition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mozambique / Malawi

4 posters

Go down

Mozambique / Malawi Empty Re: Mozambique / Malawi

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 am

From the Tourist Board

Landscape

The north is characterised by its great highlands. Forming a forested spine up from Central Malawi, the Viphya Highlands is an undulating plateau rising to 6000ft (1800m) although some peaks stretch a further 1000ft (300m) higher. On the borders with Zambia and with Tanzania, in the north, other significant ranges include the Malingu Mountains and the Misuku Hills rising to over 7000ft (2100m) and 6500ft (2000m) respectively. But the most magnificent of all is the Nyika Plateau, towering to no less than 8000ft (2500m). The rolling landscapes of the centre of the plateau are described as whalebacks but the edges of this granite core are scarp-like especially where, in the north-east, it forms the edge of the Great Rift Valley.

Has someone got a bit of time to research this one??
Maybe send an email to...the tourist board asking if there is any rafting / rapids... hmmm...or somthing.
Could be that all the rivers are either impossible to get there or flat.
Plus I've got no idea when the rainy season is. I'm just guessing it could be similar to Madagasca.
Not looked at plane tickets either.
Anyone?

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:48 am

Malawi Travel Guide.Malawi can offer visitors unique scenery, rare wildlife and stunning valleys. Evergreen forests and waterfalls can be viewed from the heights of the plateaus. Activities are central to any visit. The national parks are attractive places for wildlife and game viewing in the most unspoilt of settings. Safe from the tarred roads and convoys of tourists, visitors can trek in entirely natural surroundings.

Malawi has nine national parks and wildlife reserves, six of which are especially recommended for visitors. There are also many attractive and accessible forest reserves. All the parks and reserves are uncrowded and give visitors an excellent experience of unspoilt wilderness.

Its most famous feature must be Lake Malawi, which stretches from the northern tip of the country to Mangochi in the south. Some of the rarest tropical fish in the world are unique to this vast lake, and it is also home to varieties of eagle and kingfisher.

Read more: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/malawi#ixzz1Al3M6a7L

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:54 am

[quote]Yes, I was in the warm heart of Africa.
But not the Mpatamanga Gorge. I was in the north of the country, visitng family, and sadly not boating.
All these pics show the river in 'Low water', they'd had 15 weeks with no significant rain fall. I'll have to find the pictures show 'high water' levels.[/quotehttp://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44324&hilit=malawi

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 pm

http://www.kayakafrica.net/
This website was mentioned in a Guardian article (not sure if thats good or bad).
...they have bases in Malawi.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Factfile

Joanna Walters flew with Kenya Airways (01784 888222) via Nairobi and Lusaka. British Airways (0845 773 3377) has suspended flights via Kenya but flies once a week directly from London to the Malawian capital Lilongwe. The diving locations of southern Lake Malawi and safari camps in the Liwonde national park are a three- to four-hour drive away. Air Malawi flies from Lilongwe to Blantyre, nearer the lake. It also flies at low level in small planes, giving sweeping views of elephant herds, from Blantyre to the airstrip adjacent to the resort of Club Makokola on Lake Malawi, which has boat safari, snorkelling or yachting and easy road links to Cape Maclear.

Sunvil Africa (0208 232 9777) offers a nine-night package including three days on Lake Malawi and two nights on safari for £1,414. The price includes flights, accommodation, transfers and park fees.

At Cape Maclear, Scuba Shack offers diving instruction courtesy of Padi-qualified Nahoko and Glen Campbell (00 265 993 4220 or email doogles@africa-online.net). Examples of prices are: beginner's course: US$50 (£31), open water and advanced open water course including six nights accommodation $300 (£181), open water instructor's course $885 (£533).

Next door, Kayak Africa offers diving, island luxury cabins and kayaking.

Club Makokola offers day tours, snorkelling and boating and is planning diving instruction in the near future (00 265 159 4244).

Riverboat and drive safaris are available at Mvuu Camp & Lodge in the Liwonde National Park.

General information from the Malawi Ministry of Tourism, Parks and Wildlife.

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 pm

AS watersports Workers Blog
I've got in touch with him...potential?

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Minnie Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:23 am

nice one dave! would be an amazing place to go too
the french have cut off my internet so ill get back on researching as soon as its sorted, sorry guys!

Minnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:21 am

Hello everyone.
Sorry about being of absolutely zero use over the past month or so but my exams are over no so I can have a life again.
From reading though the information so far Mozambique/Malawi does look very interesting, I would be a little concerned whether there would be enough water as most for the rainfall charts seem to show virtually none from June-August. (Also slightly concerned about a country that has an AK47 as part of their flag!)
I have a lot more free time now but don't know what you guys have done research wise other than whats on here, so just give me a place to look into and I will crack on with that.

Tom

Back to top Go down

Mozambique / Malawi Empty things

Post  Will Eldred Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:03 am

Hi Tom

it looks like we are looking at Malawi, Madagascar or Sri Lanka but we are waiting to hear back from various people who have been to each so we ae probably going to have to propose all 3 so we need costing and risk assessments done for all three at this point......

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:46 am

Annoyingly Tom is right.
Malawi is out. Sort of. The sentence below summarizes what we'd be in for.
some of the bigger rivers can be paddled at any time, big volume brown torrents in wet season or low volume tech creeking in dry season.

Hi Dave,

I believe Malawi does have a lot of potential for whitewater exploration. But whether there is enough, and whether it fits in with time scales is a bit tricky. The Shire river drains from the south end of Lake Malawi and offers some big volume 4+, however there are several hydro electric plants, and lots of crocs and hippos. The Shire runs all year because it drains the lake, although there is a barrage to control flow, but they need consistent flow for the hydro electric. Olaf Obsommer and crew have paddled some of the Shire and might be able to supply some beta. There are Quite a few rivers that drain the northern area of Malawi that could offer potential, the northen area of Malawi has several upland areas. The Further north you go the steep things get. I have looked at a few short sections of the Bua, and South Rukuru river. Both seem to have potential. There are quite a few rivers in the area that on paper look good, but I’ve not seen. There are some steeper rivers in the south, but I have not spent much time in the south of the country and know little about them. The Wet season starts in November, and runs through till March/April. Some of the steeper smaller creeks will need to be paddled in wet season, but some of the bigger rivers can be paddled at any time, big volume brown torrents in wet season or low volume tech creeking in dry season.

I have blogged a few picture from Malawi in the past, they can be seen HERE and HERE. If you have any other questions let me know and I’ll try my best to help out.

Regards,

Jim

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 am

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Mozambique / Malawi Empty 1 down

Post  Will Eldred Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 am

phew, was just writing an email to the exploration board and thought i would check this one last time.
thats a shame though.
i have a load of beta on general stuff on sri lanka so will post that on the other thread and get started on madagascar

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum