BURP Kayak Expedition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka paddling

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sri Lanka paddling - Page 2 Empty Re: Sri Lanka paddling

Post  DaveB Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Got in touch with Seth Warren
(from the national Grographic Youtube).
He wasn't te best of help but by the sounds of things can't remember much about it!

Truthfully, I don't remember a damn thing except we only paddled one river.....and did a bunch of mountain biking, hiking, surfing, etc for a natl. Geographic TV show. The river we did was fun, but now worth traveling around the world for. I think the guy who organized the trip was Wade from Adventure Center Asia..... You might get a hold of Ben Selznick, as he sort of organized the trip.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Best of luck on your trip, Seth

DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post  Niamh Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi guys.

I'm really sorry I've been absent in contact for so long. I've recently had quite a lot going on with family which has made it really hard to think about anything-else on top of work. I do actually have work now.. most of the time so am also finding it quite hard to put in quite as many hours as I'd've liked. I hope from now(after this weekend) things will settle and I'll be able to make a much better contribution. Sorry! I did, whilst you guys were looking into further details about Sri Lanka, do some work on some other destinations. Most look difficult but could potentially be a back up such as Iran and Laos. I was going to put everything I'd found on here but didn't manage to put stuff on at the time and now feel its a bit too late to bring in new, equally, if not more awkward destinations so I will keep them on the back burner for if Sri Lanka doesnt seem to be working for us. Which I'm sure it will! Sounds really good. Veryexciting! Minnie somebody else also gave me Andrew Van Pelt's email, just to check you've got the same thing: andyvp2000@yahoo.co.uk
I look forward to the list. Hopefully I can start being more help!

Niamh

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Eldred Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 am

I heard back from the expo board and they are willing to fund me and Tom but will need a revised proposal with :
"
• Maps of the rivers that you are most likely to attempt to kayak and some indication of your likely preferences
• You need to provide clarification of the contacts local to the likely rivers and related emergency procedures eg nearest towns, hospitals etc
• Clarification of 1st aid training for the team members
• Updated risk assessment
• A more detailed budget
• A more detailed equipment list, including what you are likely to take in your first aid kit
"

So i recon if we get a bit of info on 10 or so rivers that should keep them happy. If anyone has a free minute to find a river and work out the get in, get out, walk out contingency and nearest hospital etc that would be great. Also some details of any first aid experience and what you carry with you (especially in first aid kit) on the river would be great. Dave could you get hold of Andy Sommer and ask him who he used for transport? i think he sorted it out for the russian boaters and if i just have a name and recomendation the expo board will be happy. They seemed massively worried about road accidents.
With regards to risk assesment; they want a more specific Sri lankan one, i have snakes down as a risk (make loud noises while portage/inspecting) any others?

Here are the Rivers that we know have been paddled before (from the playak articles):

Kalu Ganga
Sitawaka
Belihul Oya
Badulla Oya
Kotmale Oya
Oma Oya could be a nice multi-day trip

Will Eldred

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down